Sunday, December 28, 2008

T minus 5 days...

Kelsey and I don't know much about blogging but we thought that the entertainment value resulting from the combination of our ceaselessly (though not necessarily desirably) comical lives and South American adventures would be too good not to share.  That, and we're pretty sure there's no other way for our families to know that we haven't contracted dengue fever from a rogue mosquito or been encased by molten lava from the nearby active volcanoes or simply been kidnapped by FARC rebels while meandering along the Colombian border just a stone's throw from our little village of Lumbisí! So, that being said, welcome to our Ecuadorian Adventure!  

We're still pre-departure so I'll just give a quick update. Our plane is scheduled to depart in an anxiety inducing 5 days, and I have yet to finish (or begin) packing.  There is a growing mountain of seeming bare essentials at the foot of my bed, and I'm doubting whether it will all fit into the one piece of luggage Delta so graciously allows us to check for some inordinate price, considering the wallet obliterating cost of the tickets!  I still need to invest in 6 months worth of tampons/femme products (as per the advice of peers studying in Ecuador this past fall) and some type of bag that fends off ketchup-squirting, bag-slashing, invisibility cloak-wearing pick-pockets (according to LonelyPlanet).  In addition, tomorrow I'm scheduled for the 3rd and final shot of the rabies vaccination I've been receiving secretly from a travel medicine practice that will remain unnamed.  That's right, while for the entire rest of U.S. citizens you actually need to have RABIES in order to receive the vaccine that is currently experiencing a national shortage, I am building up my immunity free of oral foaming and imminent death! Heck, after all these immunizations I'm pretty sure I could survive the wrath of ten rabid foxes, multiple colonies of yellow fever carrying inhabitants and Typhoid Mary herself.
That being said, immunity to Typhoid Mary wont do much if I arrive in Ecuador sans clothing, toothpaste, etc.  Thus, packing will now ensue.  Hasta Luego!

-Nikki

7 comments:

  1. Nikki and Kelsey,

    If the rest of your blogs have even a minute portion of the intelligence, humor, and entertainment value that this posting contains, I will be a subscriber for life.

    I wish you both the best of luck in your future travels, and I hope that we stay in touch.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES!

    I'll have a blog too, it will be:
    http://dearthair.blogspot.com

    Let's be friends!

    "Dearthair" is "brother" in Gaelic in case you were curious. I don't know, I just like the word. I was literally going through a Gaelic dictionary trying to find a cool word for my blog url.

    See you in Media!

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahaha

    It'll be a contest between us to see who can get killed first, in the most exotic/foreign way. Ready, GO!

    But really, I'm so glad you guys made a blog! I can't wait to read it from inside the giant-pile-of-snow wifi hotspot that I'll be frequenting in Petersburg.

    Hurrah! Good luck with the packing - I'm about to start the shopping. (Ahh!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, I just made the trip to get a semester's worth of female supplies, and I can promise you, it is MIGHTY awkward, especially when the cashier takes in the 10,000 tampons you're purchasing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nik -
    I'm so glad I got to see you this break. Have a blast in ecuador and I will obviously be following the blog to make sure your malaria pills don't make you murder anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SOO excited this blog exists!! I already miss you guys SO much! Kelsey, I heard you don't have a real toilet... ~*~ADVENTURE~*~

    xoxo
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're anxiously awaiting more from both of you!

    ReplyDelete